Department for Work and Pensions
Compensation Recovery Unit e-service  

FAQs – Frequently asked questions

List of help topics

Why should I use this service?

You should use this service because:

  • the service is safe and secure, and
  • it should be quicker than completing and sending the paper form to CRU.

What do I need before I can use the CRU e-service?

To use this service you will need:

  • access to either a personal computer (PC) or a Macintosh computer with a working Internet connection, and
  • an Internet browser – for example, version 5.0 (or later) of Microsoft Internet Explorer or version 6.2 (or later) of Netscape Navigator or Netscape Communicator. Your Internet browser must have cookies enabled and be capable of supporting 128-bit SSL.

I do not know the CRU reference number – where can I find this information?

The CRU reference number should be on any correspondence from CRU, such as a certificate or a CRU4. If you have not registered the claim with CRU, you will need to complete a CRU1 and send it to us before you can use this service.

I have taken over responsibility for a claim, can I use the service?

Yes, but before you use this service please contact us. We need your correct contact details including your reference number to make sure that any certificates issued contain the correct information.

Can I save a copy of a transaction?

No. You cannot save a partially or fully completed form.

Can I print a copy of a transaction?

Yes. After you have completed the relevant form and selected ‘continue’, you can print a copy of the transaction through your browser.

Will I get an electronic response?

No. We have designed the service to automate the submission of certificate request and settlement notifications. We may enhance the system to allow electronic responses in the future. We will keep you informed through the CRU pages on the DWP website.

How much does it cost?

The only cost to you will be any phone charges while online. This will depend on your own Internet Service Provider (ISP) and the contract you have with them.

Will my data be secure?

Yes. The Department for Work and Pensions is a responsible data user and has a privacy policy, which is subject to the provisions of the Data Protection Act.

All the information that you send and receive goes through the Government Gateway and it is encrypted to the highest industry standards using 128-bit SSL.

If I am having problems using the CRU e-service – what do I do?

If you cannot find the answer to your problem here, please contact us.


top of page

List of help topics